Fishing The Pit
"The Pit" covers roughly three acres and was created in 1980, and for the last twenty five years has been a fishing lake. It is widely respected to be a quiet, tranquil and above all a friendly fishery, with its own on-site bait shop where can also pick up a cup of tea or an ice cream.
"The Pit" is host to many varieties of fish including Carp, Crucian, Tench, Perch and Roach. The largest carp to be caught in "The Pit" so far is 27lbs, and one of our regulars recently took a 10lb Tench. There are twenty-four swims around the outside of the pit, and in the summer months and bank holidays it is advisable to arrive early as it does get busy.
On the site is the Hut - where you fill in your tickets (see "How to Pay" at the bottom of this page) and also a unisex toilet and sink with hot and cold running water. Having toilet and washing facilities improves the comfort of all users, but especially for our female visitors - whom we are keen to encourage.
The car park has plenty of space for everyone, and the lakes are in easy walking distance. Registered Disabled users with a valid blue badge may drive right up to the lake other vehicles must remain in the car park which is very close to the lake.
Rules for Fishing The Pit
- Strictly barbless hooks
- No braid main line
- Dip landing nets and rinse before use in barrels provided
- No keep nets between April & October inclusive, November to March check sign at reception, strictly for Roach & Perch only
- Do not discard excess bait into the lakes at the end of your session, take it home.
- Restricted use of ground bait - 1 Kg per session
- Boilies on hook or hair rig only, no loose feeding
- Releasable Method Feeders only
- No cars beyond the gate unless displaying a registered disabled badge
- Sit on or by a designated swim
- No night fishing
- Take all litter home
- No children under 16 unless accompanied by an adult of 18+ years
- Maximum 2 children per adult
- No children visitors, sorry
- MAXIMUM of two rods / poles per person
- Owners reserve the right to ask fishermen to leave the premises if anglers do not abide by the rules, with no refund
- These rules are for the benefit and welfare of the fish and of other users, please read them and abide by them
Between March 1st & October 31st-
7am till dusk or 9.30pm
(whichever is the sooner.)
No admission after 5pm.
Evening tickets start from 4.30 pm.
Between 1st November & 28th February -
8am till dusk.
SORRY - NO NIGHT FISHING
How to Pay
On arrival you should pay for your day ticket in the Reception/Bait Shop. If the reception isn’t open then please pay at "The Hut" which is easily visible from the car park; it is also the location of the WC.
Simply enter your name and the amount you have paid into the duplicate book, retain the top copy for proof of purchase, fill in the details on the envelope and place fee in the envelope and post it in the box mounted on a pole between "The Hut" and the waters edge (details of how to pay are in The Hut too). We walk around the lake frequently checking tickets and hooks.